In the middle of cold and flu season, it seems like everyone is sick with something. You’ve likely encountered this if you work in an office, or have little ones at home. You’ve heard the endless sniffling and hacking, hoping you don’t get the office plague. If you’re looking for a way to reduce your chances of getting hit with the latest sickness, you might want to think about elderberry syrup.
Elderberry Syrup–Nature’s Miracle Drug
If you’ve never heard of elderberry syrup, it’s high time you did. This natural elixir is a veritable miracle drug, loaded with antioxidants. Incorporating it into your daily health regimen helps prevent or manage a wide range of conditions, from diabetes to acne, to boosting immunity. Drinking elderberry syrup daily has some pretty impressive benefits. What other natural substance–
- Helps Fight Colds and Flu? Elderberry syrup will not necessarily prevent the flu. However, clinical evidence indicates that the syrup is a powerful tool for reducing the severity and duration of cold and flu symptoms if taken within the first 48 hours of when symptoms appear. Elderberries are known to have antiviral and antioxidant properties. One thing to note: taking elderberry syrup does not seem to reduce the likelihood of getting a cold or virus, but it does help to fight it off.
- Promotes Mental Health? Elderberry extract contains compounds that act as a natural antidepressant. Studies, while in their infancy, are showing promising results linking elderberry syrup with a boost in mood.
- Relieves Pain? The main compound found in elderberries is Anthocyanins. These powerful flavonoids are known to reduce inflammation, which in turn, reduces pain and swelling. Because of natural antibiotic properties, elderberries have been a popular ingredient in tinctures and salves used to treat everything from tooth pain to cuts and burns for centuries.
- Acts as Natural Diuretic? Studies seem to indicate that elderberry syrup helps fight constipation and water retention, aiding in the removal of excess water in the body.
- Treats Acne? Long known for their high level of antioxidants, elderberries help protect the skin and body from harmful free radicals, particularly those can contribute to skin problems. Antioxidants give the skin a healthy glow. Elderberry is also a rich source of vitamins A and C, which act as natural moisturizers and can even help to prevent wrinkles.
- Lowers Blood Pressure–elderberries are excellent for heart health. Flavonoids, like the ones found in the berry, or it’s products, have been found to reduce the risk of heart disease. They even demonstrate cholesterol-lowering properties and reduce the levels of uric acid in the blood, the main risk factor for high blood pressure.
Where Can You Find Elderberry Syrup?
Elderberry syrup or other products can be found at most natural food stores or online. Homemade versions have begun cropping up at farmers markets across the country as well. If you cannot find any nearby, you can always make it yourself. These seemingly magical berries can be found growing all over the place, maybe even in your own backyard. If you’re skeptical, try it for yourself.
If you are experiencing back pain, first drink some elderberry syrup to reduce inflammation, and then get started on some herniated disc exercises. You may even find that your skin and hair look better and that your mood has improved. Why not add elderberries into your daily regimen? You may just improve your health.